Wednesday 20 July 2011

A True Romantic (First Posted Dec. 5, 2010)


I am so interested right now to discover what I believe being a true romantic means that I am going to keep this particular blog “open” as a place to continue adding to my own definition of this term (which commenced in Part I of this topic).

I’m not sure how this will go but we’ll see.  I may run out of steam soon .... or this may be an important process of discovery that will go on for a while.

Anyway, here is my expanding definition of someone who is a true romantic:

1.  One who interprets his/her life life in such a way as to derive the maximum feeling from her/his circumstances.  This strong and prevailing tendancy eventually matures into an internal process which endeavors to work with these feelings to derive from them their maximum meaning and, from this, their maximum benefit
(Hmmm ... that's actually pretty darn accurate as far as I am concerned ... it may be all I have to add ... or, perhaps there's more ... I'll just have to wait and see.)
2.  One who is willing to make a personal sacrifice if she/he believes it is for the "higher good".
3.  One who experiences a slight, but unmistakable, frisson of excitement deep in their being when entertaining thoughts about such things as valour, honour, gallantry and the like. 
4.  One who believes love is the supreme force in the universe, bar none, and who - while appreciating and celebrating all the forms of love - cannot, no matter how he/she tries, escape the conviction that there is something  known as "true love" which is experienced by only a few very fortunate people in their lifetime.

NOTE:  I was googling around "romantic" and, not surprisingly, came across the term "hopeless romantic".  I had actually forgotten this term.  And, no wonder.   To me, it has a negative connotation.   Oh, yes.  I just remembered another lovely adjective for "romantic".  This being the word "incurable" as if this way of being were a disease.

SECOND NOTE:  The more I reflect on what I believe the definition of a "true romantic" is the more I believe the single definition I give in Part I on this topic and the first definition I give in Part 2 say it all.  It's essentially all about feelings and - if one is a strongly feeling type - then being a true romantic makes the most sense and the best use out of the feelings this type of person is prone to (just by being alive and just by being his/herself).  It is a tried and true channel for feelings to flow along and a bona fide channel as well, in my opinion.  In fact, I haven't thought a lot about this but I hazard to say life would be the poorer without true/incurable/hopeless romantics in our midst - if only to make the people who live staid and comfortable lives feel, by times, both envious (?) and relieved (!).

BLOG CLOSED

No comments:

Post a Comment