Tuesday 19 July 2011

Now I Am The Rich Gold Of Autumn (First Posted Sept. 29, 2010)

Now I Am The Rich Gold Of Autumn
Once, I was the bright, sweet green of springtime
Every thing was completely new and so exciting
Every place deemed worthy to be explored
My senses were wide open to taste all before me
Others were not just loved, but adored.
 Now, I am the rich gold of autumn
Moving more slowly and surely across the earth
My experiences have been stored up like treasure
Each one now somehow remarkable and each
To be taken out and savoured at my leisure.
Once, I was the vivid hues of summer
Knowing and wanting enough to propel me forward
To accept certain responsibilities while shirking others
Planting myself as deeply as I could under the sun
Reaching down while reaching up this was my time to mother. 
Now, I am the rich gold of autumn
None are in my care but for my own true self
Acting now with a certainty born of earlier hits and misses
And being mostly out from under desire’s cruel lash
Love is still love but without indiscriminate kisses.
 Next, I will be the ghostly white light of winter
Becoming less and less as I let go more and more
My spirit will get stronger and my body less able
Eventually the desire to quit toiling and go home will
Draw me from one side to the other along a silver cable.
But, today, I am the rich gold of autumn
Not ready to fade but still robust in body, mind and heart
Understanding my spirit needs to benefit from the lessons
Which remain while containing the gift of those mastered
My life not yet told and so, for now, dedicated to my art.

                                     - Ava Darling

No comments:

Post a Comment