Wednesday 20 July 2011

Merwoman Singular (First Posted Oct. 31, 2010)


Today I had the singular pleasure of being the only merwoman in a large, well-maintained public swimming pool.  Heaven!  The time I had this particular stretch of  "ocean" all to myself was brief but exquisite. 

It was blissfully quiet (with only the lapping sound of the water as it broke around my gliding form) and through the many large windows which surrounded me I could see the first snow fall coming down.   The experience was rather surreal and a real blessing to my battered senses (having just finished my 3 days of barbering in the Canex building at CFB Kingston which has the acoustics of a tin can).

It reminded me of how delicous it felt to have the thickly frozen, freshly groomed harbour in Belleville all to myself to skate on of a winter's lunch hour.  This was an equally rare and surreal experience and equally as pleasure filled as the one I had today.

Following this I saw the movie Clint Eastwood has recently produced, directed and scored, "The Hereafter", and it complimented my mood completely.  It was a gently told story full of fine, touching moments.  It included an homage to Charles Dickens whom I have been contemplating reading upon finishing "The Quincunx" by Charles Palliser (which will take place this evening).  Now I know I definitely will be.  I find it comforting to have books in mind to read.

A good Sunday.  My favourite day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment