Tuesday 19 July 2011

IMAGINATION reality (First Posted Oct. 11, 2010)


As a person who exercises her creativity on a regular and on-going basis, it is probably not surprising that I have a very active imagination.  And, as a creative type in the autumn of my life, it is probably also not surprising that my imagination is becoming richer as well as more potent and more convincing.  Overall, my imagination is a good companion as well as a useful tool and I can't 'imagine' what I would do without it to keep me stimulated, inspired and moving forward.

On the other hand, there are challenges to be met and hard work to be undertaken when I choose to act on what my imagination conceives.

First of all, before I take the step of materializing what is in my imagination I must be sure I have thoroughly imagined the outcome of my efforts as best I can.  This results in a two-pronged investigation with one side being positive (evoking a feeling of love) and the second side being negative (evoking a feeling of fear).  For me there seems to be no middle ground.

Next, I must weigh these two opposing views/forces against the other and see which turns out to be the most compelling.

Finally, I have to begin the effort of materializing what is in my imagination while being on the alert for signs and wonders offering me support and guidance along the way.  These latter occurrences help a lot.

Now, once my best efforts to materialize what is in my imagination have brought about an outward result the next stage is to:  1. experience and survive the shock of the unexpected challenges which almost immediately arise, and, 2. commence undertaking the hard work required to meet these challenges in a way which is positive and congruent with the love inspired by the original imagining/dream. 

All this additional effort is required because my imagination and 'reality' aren't one in the same.  And, the disconnect between the two can vary from a little to a lot. 

So, my first challenge is to decide whether to believe in what I have best imagined (and felt) or to collapse under the weight and seeming immutability of the reality I have been met with and therefore abandon myself (for this is what discounting the products of my best imagination and best feelings truly amounts to). 

Depending on the amount of disconnect between what I have produced out of my imagination and what I have subsequently discovered to be 'real' responding to this initial challenge basically amounts to mustering the resolve to believe in myself first and foremost -  even if doing so means I will wind up totally alone and unsupported on my chosen path.  Even if it means I appear to be "crazy" i.e., completely out of touch with "reality".  And, ooh yes, I find this part very scary.  It plucks a primal nerve.

Then, moving forward, I next face the challenge of having to dig deep inside to find the way that works for me to connect these two seemingly disparate pieces together in a fashion which is still congruent with my original imagining and the original feeling of love it evoked. 

Then, I have to believe in this new internal connection I have forged and keep believing in it in the face of 'reality' (until that reality begins to soften and accept this new connection I am making with it, which can take an excruciatingly long period of time).   This is where the hardest work lies because it is work done under the pressure of the doubts and the anxieties which naturally arise when what is 'real' and what is imagined aren't neatly dovetailed together and all the while keeping in mind the very plain truth that
in life there are no guaranteed or totally predictable outcomes.


So, it all boils down to the question of whether, or not, the entire process of materializing a dream - and doing all one can to knit this dream into reality - is worth it for its own sake alone.

Is it worth it to:

imagine
feel
weigh
decide
face challenges
believe in one's self
dig deep
create new connections
put forth effort
believe
love

For me, it is.

I find myself particularly enriched through the part of the process which requires me to dig deep and search out the most creative and loving ways to connect these two things which do not seem to easily or readily connect.  I find it always requires a certain amount of sacrifice on my part which ultimately leaves me the better for having made it. 

And while initially this sacrifice is difficult to seriously contemplate - let alone actually make - it is also very rewarding in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment