Tuesday 19 July 2011

Not Knowing (First Posted Oct. 20, 2010)


I’ve only just come to realize what an interesting state of mind is my not knowing state of mind. 

For one thing, it can be extremely uncomfortable when my not knowing state of mind gets periodically riled up and demands answers I simply can't give it.  "Just give me an answer, any answer", it pleads. 

I find it challenging to find ways to settle my not knowing mind when it is agitated in this particular way.  I can't (and won't) give it an answer I don't have, or that I'm not sure of.  So, mostly, it is a matter of waiting for my not knowing mind to run itself out and then settle down on its own.  Positive and worthwhile distractions - such as a good book - can help too. 

On the other hand, genuinely not knowing the definitive answers to some crucial, life questions can be very stimulating.  Until my not knowing mind reaches the agitated state referred to above my not knowing mind can be quite happily occupied simply imagining (as well as weighing and deliberating) the different outcomes to the questions it wishes to have answered.

So, really, my not knowing mind and my questioning (probing, reaching, connecting, creating) mind are two sides of the same coin.

To Be Continued ... (I think.) ... (But I don't know for sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment