Tuesday 26 July 2011

My Point of View (First Posted May 4, 2011)


Dear Reader,

I have been thinking about this blog a lot since it stopped being focused on the work, and the creative development, of "The Open Sesames" shortly after the onset of 2011 (see blog:  Ava - "Jan 20 - Feb 22, An Illustrated Haiku Story") .  Other than the fact I had also begun to use it as a public (but still personal) forum for sharing my own interpretation of the minor arcana of the tarot, without its "TOS focus" there did not seem to be a good reason for keeping it going any longer.

The question for me became, "From what can I now derive the impetus to continue blogging"?

Here is my answer:

Just before "The Open Sesames" disbanded I had become interested in super condensing my impressions, insights, and points of view into "three lines of 5-7-5" as an antidote for my tendency to inflate when I write.  I was getting tired of my writing voice and so was looking for a way to keep expressing myself through words but with many fewer than normal.  So, I have been publishing "Illustrated Haikus" on this blog for a while now and am enjoying the challenge.  While I honestly don't think my small creations possess merit as Haiku Poems, I do find them satisfying little puzzles to assemble.

As well, I have been experimenting with writing and publishing very short stories written in the third person as a way of giving myself - and you, the reader - a little space in which to imagine this "she" whose life we are gradually being made privy to.

Recently, I watched Seasons 1, 2 and 3 of "The Secret Diary of a Call Girl" which I enjoyed for several reasons (one of which is its focus on sexual dynamics ranging from the ridiculous to the bizarre).  The lead character, Belle - who is Hannah when she isn't "working" - has a unique point of view and it is this that is being entertainingly shared with the viewers.

Watching this programme, in turn, made me think about this blog and realize the same thing is going on here.  No matter what my focus is, and no matter what I am publishing, I am really just sharing my own point of view  - in my own way - on this blog space.   Or, maybe it is more accurate to say that here I am sharing the point of view that is me.

Understanding this will, I think, help me become a little braver over time because it seems to me that what is unique - and what is common - about another person can only really be revealed when that person chooses (for whatever reason and in whatever way) to become uncommonly open.   Like Belle (and Hannah).

Cheers,
Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment