Wednesday 14 December 2011

Poem (Illustrated) - Ava's Lament


Ava's Lament

Gone are the places where once I did roam
Gone is the laneway beside my old home
Gone are the night times of silence and dark
Gone are our picnics in Wellington Park.

Gone are my neighbours, my family, my friends
Gone are the summers that seemed without end
Gone are the whispers that swept through the trees
Gone are the children who went were they pleased.

Gone are the shorelines stretching for miles
Gone is the harvest heaped up in great piles
Gone are the days when dogs were not tied
Gone is the horse upon which I did ride.

Gone is the schoolhouse with rooms one and two
Gone are the boots that fit over our shoes
Gone is the farmer who slaughtered his pigs
Gone is the barn dance and gone are the jigs.

Gone is the girl with the penny bright eyes
Gone are the sayings that once were deemed wise
Gone are the men folk who stood over me
Gone is the time when admission was free

Gone are the fields in which nothing was built
Gone are the gatherings for stitching a quilt
Gone are the cellars full of bottles and jars
Gone is the age for wishing on stars.

                            - Ava Darling

No comments:

Post a Comment